Critical Reflection

 In the beginning of my Effective Communication module, I mentioned how I would like this module to ameliorate my public speaking and writing abilities. 13 weeks have passed under the guidance of professor Brad, it's evident I have progressed. In the first few weeks of school, I had a fairly poor perception of the module due to my previous experience in polytechnic. However as the weeks flew by, I noticed that I had an urge and motivation to do more reports and research. Being taken aback at my new profound self, I reflected that it was the teaching methods of Professor Brad which unintentionally builds self-autonomy in me to do better. With constant reiteration and guidance, I find his voice embedded in my head acting as a guide while I write my reports and during preparation for any presentations. 


Personally, the biggest takeaway from this module would be the knowledge of critical thinking and reflection. Its structure and sensible methods have helped me tackle areas of my reports, peer-feedback, and problem-solving abilities. In addition, I believe that the contributing factor for the improvement of my reports is due to the countless analysis of case studies and peer-feedback done in class using critical-thinking methods such as the Paul-Elder Critical Thinking Framework and Elements of Reasoning. Also, the class activities were very well run, as each week we were given the opportunity to present. This enables us the opportunity to learn from one another with the critique from professor Brad. The instructional units given were also very comprehensive and have allowed me the ease of cross-referring to examples when writing reports and giving feedback. 


During the weeks where we had just received our grouping, the COVID restrictions came back. In my group, the People's Party, I am joined by Zahid and Yusri. In the first two weeks, we were lost, coping with our other modules and still adapting to the online classes of Effective Communication.


Initially, our report focuses on the improvement of condition monitoring for trains by installing digital sensors for a more accurate reading. Due to the insufficient findings, we then decided to change to a more recent and pressing issue which was flash flooding. Due to our already existing bond in class, my team performed well as a unit. We were all able to be frank and honest with each other. Likewise, we are open to criticism because we know it helps us improve. Step by step, our management of time got better and we pushed each other to greater heights. 


A key takeaway that I had to relearn in this team project would be empathy towards other people's working methods and most importantly communication. As an example, the preparation for the final presentation is a memory that I will always treasure. In times of doubt, we provided tough love for each other. We achieved success because of our hard-hitting motivational words and understanding of each other’s needs. 


With all being said, the wisdom and mentorship that Professor Brad has provided are life-changing. We should all be glad this module was set for us early in Year 1, as it will be beneficial for us in the future where reports and presentations are essential in our university and working life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-introduction Email

Summary Readers Response Final - Introducing Newoil

Task 3: The Importance of communication skills for engineers